Position: Associate Minister (Part-time – 20 hours/ week)
Contract: Term contract for 5 years with an evaluation of the position at the end of the term to determine continuation.
Description: The Associate Minister would be a part-time Ordained, Diaconal or Designated Lay Minister. As well, we are open to be a Learning Site for those in preparation for Ministry in the United Church of Canada. This individual would provide support in the areas of worship and Christian education as well as leading special interest and outreach groups. CHWUC needs an energetic individual who brings a caring and compassionate perspective with a strong desire to serve the spiritual needs of others. It is important that the Associate Minister can appeal to all age groups and is particularly responsive to younger generations and thereby attract new families to the congregation.
Deadline for applications: Please send your letter of interest and qualifications to Jennifer Muirhead at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 11th, 2019.
The Associate Minister will be a half time position and will provide support in the areas of worship and Christian education, as well as leading special interest and outreach groups. CHWUC needs an energetic individual who brings a caring and compassionate perspective with a strong desire to serve the spiritual needs of others. It is important that the Associate Minister can also appeal to all age groups and is particularly responsive to younger generations and thereby attracts new families to the congregation.
2.1 Pastoral Care
- Provide attentive pastoral care in time of need
2.2 Congregational Growth
- Youth Programming (ages birth -18)
- Encourage and support our children/teens and their programs, involving them in church services and programs
- to develop and strengthen the youth ministry
- Young Adults Programming (ages 19-30)
- Encourage and support our young adults and their programs, involving them in church services and programs
- to develop and strengthen a young adult ministry
- Identify the most effective means of attracting new members to CHWUC through programs and events that encourage community participation in consultation with the Lead minister
- Reach out to the community and follow up with potential new members in consultation with the Lead Minister
- Assess the degree to which some of the needs could be met through the Deployment of a team of lay visitors, then train and coordinate as required
- Establish links with identified seniors’ residences and nursing homes in the community, offering to provide worship services and communion as requested
- Provide ongoing staff liaison with teleministry, a reaching out ministry and Pastoral Care Ministry
- Take an active role in assisting with Sunday worship services on a regular basis and leading the service when the Lead minister is absent
- Assist with performing weddings and funerals as required
- Connect with the wider work of the United Church and the local ecumenical community as needed
- Provide Worship Leadership in the absence of the Lead Minister
2.4 Reaching Out
- Inspire the congregation to reach out, put their faith in action to each other within the congregation, the community and the wider world
- Inspire the congregation to strengthen their commitment to CHWUC by increased monetary givings as well as increased involvement in the life of the church
- Assume responsibilities appropriate to their own interests and gifts at the Regional and national levels of the Church in consultation with the Ministry and Personnel Committee
2.6 Self and Soul care
- Ability to take the time to nurture their own spiritual growth and self-care ● A thirst for learning and growth
- Be comfortable working independently, but willing to consult as needed with other members of the staff team
- Unified Board
- Ministry and Personnel Committee
- Region 15
** Please consult the Cole Harbour Woodside United Church Joint Needs Assessment Committee Report (AMENDED MARCH 31ST, 2019) for more information.